4 Key Takeaways from Antifragile

“Antifragile” by Nassim Nicholas Taleb uses a systems thinking approach to understand the world, through the lense of fragile and anti-fragile traits. He argues the key to resilience is embracing volatility, being adaptable, learning from mistakes, and having a plan for adversity or uncertainty. These traits are critical components of an anti-fragile system, whether that is an economy, ecological or biological system, an investment strategy, or a business plan. Shocks to the system are inevitable, so the people and systems designed to withstand change will persevere.

My key Takeaways from Antifragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb:

Takeaway #1: Fragile and Antifragile

Fragile items break when put under stress but antifragile items benefit from harm, shock, and volatile situations. It's this antifragility that has fueled human progress through the ages so don't shy away from the bumps and bruises that life throws at you, embrace them and learn to manage them.

Takeaway #2: Antifragile Systems need Fragile Components

In order for a system to be antifragile it must have some fragile components. Natural and biological systems are usually antifragile since they are incredibly complex and can self-improve through trial and error (just take evolution as an example) whilst man made items are usually fragile which the exception of a few artificial systems man has created such as the economy.

Every antifragile system must have some components that die in order to make the system stronger. In evolution that can be seen with extinction whilst the economy can only become stronger due to some of its components (businesses) failing. In our unpredictable and volatile world, every antifragile system has to be able to learn from its mistakes because tranquility leads to fragility.

Takeaway #3: Making Yourself Antifragile

Antifragile systems can be difficult to understand due to their complexity and unpredictability but you don't need to be educated to take advantage of them, you just need to know when to seize the opportunities and how to manage the risks.

It's no good trying to avoid being antifragile as it just doesn't work – everyone will go through times of uncertainty and vulnerability at some point in their life whether that's due to a natural disaster, an economic collapse, or other crises. The trick is to accept that there will be both good times and bad times and to domesticate the uncertainty rather than ignore or attempt to avoid it. Essentially you need to have a plan in place so that when volatile shocks do hit you, you swim rather than sink. Using the economy as an example, antifragile people ensure that 90% of their assets are safe from potentially disastrous risk ie an unexpected market collapse. The other 10% of assets are used in highly volatile areas where the individual might hit gold but if a shock does hit, they haven't risked and lost it all.

Takeaway #4: The Dangers of Eliminating Volatility

Today, we often undervalue antifragility, attempting to remain in the space between positive and negative, that 'safe ground'. The government tries to intervene in the volatile cycle of boom and bust in order to control the economy to make it more tranquil and efficient but they do more harm than good - Volatility is vital for antifragility so when it is removed or contained, problems lie dormant under the surface, growing bigger and bigger until one day they explode.

Another problem we humans suffer from is predicting the future using a false narrative of the past and creating contingency plans based on past events, not thinking that a bigger more devastating event could happen tomorrow. Just take the Fukushima nuclear reactor for example – it was built to withstand the biggest earthquake that we had ever experienced at that time with no thought that a bigger earthquake could and did happen in 2011.

Conclusion

We can't predict the future but we can prepare for it by making ourselves antifragile, remembering that volatility is what keeps us strong and tranquility is what makes us weak.

***

Favorite Quote:"Antifragility is beyond resilience or robustness. The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better.” ― Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder

Like what you see? Please share with your friends ⇗
 

Read The Art of Fully Living

There's no going back-once you embark on the journey you're meant to live, it's impossible to settle for anything less than your dreams.

Click here to learn more

This book just may change your life

Guess what? I wrote another book. It's a 500-page roadmap for living life on your own terms and it just might change your life.

Click here to learn more